In my media product I represented social groups differently.
On the front cover of my magazine I have a young man dressed in edgy clothing holding a saxophone. I think that this represents young men as being creative and hard working. The articles on my front cover are mainly about going out. For example, articles about Mardi Gras and the top ten bars and clubs. Although I think I depict young men as being creative and hardworking I also think I portray them as being fun and enjoy going out. I don't think that this is a negative view on you men as it highlights that they can both work and play.
I think that I definitely portray men as loving to party as my tagline is 'the magazine that starts the party'. I think that this is a typical representation of young men. However, because of the name 'Gatsby' I think that it portrays them as liking parties that are elegant and up market. This is different from the representation of some young men in the media on television shows such as 'The Ibiza Weekender'. These shows portray young men as being irresponsible drinkers.
I think in my Mardi Gras article I portray young girls and women as loving to party. This is because I included a picture which showed loads of girls having a good time and partying. Again, however, I do not feel that this representation is a negative one because they are all dressed modestly and none of them look as though they are being reckless or drinking irresponsibly. It shows them all having a good time with other girls and is very different to the way some young girls are portrayed on television shows like skins.
As well as this I also included a picture of an old man in the article. Again representing them as liking to get involved and have fun rather than them being tired and miserable.
Overall I think I represented a good amount of social groups in the most positive way possible so that the magazine would appeal to a wide variety of people even though I have a specific target audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment